Search This Blog

December 18, 2012

Fix the issue- TFS Could not connect to Outlook


Today, when I opened Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate to connect to TFS 2010, I would like to send a bug to my manager via Select Selection to Microsoft Outlook. I got the following error message.

TFS242402: Could not start or connect to Outlook. This problem can occur if Visual studio is running full administrator access and outlook is not. If Visual Studio is running with full administer access, close outlook, and reopen Outlook using the Run As Administrator option.





Therefore I have one thing in my mind.  Let me try the following scenario and I get the interesting result.

VS 2010 (No admin right) & Outlook (no admin right)

If MS outlook is open already and choose Select Selection to Microsoft Outlook in TFS, the bug template is in the Outlook.  I can connect to Outlook

VS 2010 (admin right) & Outlook (admin right)
If MS outlook is open already and choose Select Selection to Microsoft Outlook in TFS, the bug template is in the Outlook.  I can connect to Outlook

VS 2010 (admin right) & Outlook (no admin right)

If MS outlook is close and choose Select Selection to Microsoft Outlook in TFS, the bug template is in the Outlook.  I can connect to Outlook

If MS outlook is open already, choose Select Selection to Microsoft Outlook in TFS, I get the error message above.

VS 2010 (No admin right) & Outlook (admin right)

If MS outlook is open already, choose Select Selection to Microsoft Outlook in TFS, I get another error message –Another version of Outlook is currently running. Close it and try again.



My outlook is still the same. Why says another version of Outlook is currently running?  That really confuses people.

Next time if you have this interesting issue, please make sure you use the same right in MS Outlook and Visual Studio. The issue will be resolved.

No comments: