Search This Blog

September 26, 2014

Need to reconfigure all settings in SOAtest after TFS 2013 upgrade

Our IT department was doing TFS 2013 upgrade last weekend.  After TFS 2013 upgrade, our team saw some issues of SOAtest this week.

When opening SOAtest, I lost the connection to TFS and it showed the error message all the time.

Another team member could connect to TFS in SOAtest , but she could not get the latest version on the project level because “Get Latest version” or “Get Specific Version” was disabled. The interesting part was that she could still get the latest version in the individual tst file. But that was not helpful.

We need to fix this issue as soon as possible. Therefore, the best way to fix this issue is to create a workspace, import all test cases from TFS and reconfigure the settings. Here are the simple steps:

1)    Create a folder in C drive.

2)    Open SOAtest and use that folder as a workspace.

3)    Click file ->import and I can import all test cases from TFS.

4)    Click Parasoft->Preferences and reconfigure all required settings .

5)    Run BVTs and validate if all tests pass.




Another member mentioned that after TFS 2013 upgrade, if we used SOAtest to reconnect to TFS 2013, we should not be able to see the issues above. I totally agreed. 

Why bother testers to reconfigure all settings in SOAtest after TFS 2013 upgrade? 

September 22, 2014

SOAtest issue: the characters after & are truncated in Traffic Viewer-Response- Element

This morning I noticed one test failed in SOAtest. After looking into this issue, I have the confidence to say this is the bug on SOAtest side.

We have the SQL query to get the test data and then pass the data in WCF method.

SQL query:

@Name VARCHAR (100)

….Where RTRIM (Name) like '%&%' (Initially we didn’t have this condition .I added it.)

Test Data:

It contains “&” . For example, Name is Ray FURNITURE & EQUIPMENT

SOAtest (DB tool)

Click Traffic Object -> Traffic Viewer-Response-Literal

Ray FURNITURE & EQUIPMENT

Click Traffic Object -> Traffic Viewer-Response-Tree

It doesn’t show the tree nodes. It only shows NewElement.



Click Traffic Object -> Traffic Viewer-Response- Element

results:
  resultSet:
    rows:
      row:
        Name: Ray FURNITURE

I used different data with & several times and I noticed that the result only showed the characters before &. I believe the characters behind & were truncated in SOAtest.

I used different data without & several times and the complete data appeared.


Next time if you see this & issue, don’t feel surprised in SOAtest.

September 19, 2014

Fixed SQL Query: Adding Group By When Using ROW_NUMBER ( )

If we have ROW_NUMBER ( )  in SQL query, using SELECT DISTINCT shows the duplicate record.

SQL query

SELECT DISTINCT
COL1 AS ID,
ROW_NUMBER( ) OVER( ORDER BY COL1) AS RowNum,
COL2 AS FirstName
FROM table
INNER JOIN table ON xx=xx
INNER JOIN table ON xx=xx
INNER JOIN table ON xx=xx
INNER JOIN table ON xx=xx
WHERE ...

Result:


  
How can I remove the duplicate record when using ROW_NUMBER( ) in SQL query? The answer is to use Group By.

Modify SQL query: adding Group By
SELECT
COL1 AS ID,
ROW_NUMBER( ) OVER( ORDER BY COL1) AS RowNum,
COL2 AS FirstName
FROM table
INNER JOIN table ON xx=xx
INNER JOIN table ON xx=xx
INNER JOIN table ON xx=xx
INNER JOIN table ON xx=xx
WHERE ...
GROUP BY COL1, COL2

Result:

September 15, 2014

Fixed the issue- Order by string ( 1,11,2,21,3), not by number (1,2,3,4)

Today I ran the SOAtest and found one test failed.I checked the SQL query and it used 
Order by FieldName. The data is returned as follows (order by string)

1149
1180
1339
135
1365
140
23
.....

When I opened WCF test client and invoked the web service, it returned the following data (order by number)

23
53
60
78
135
140
271
292
453
.....

After looking into this interesting issue, I modified the following SQL query and it is working perfectly.


Order by FieldName *1