Search This Blog

March 19, 2013

Fixed the issue- You have been logged on with Temp Profile on Windows Server 2008 R2


This week when I logged off one remote machine (Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1) and logged in again, my configuration files in this machine disappeared all the time. Therefore, I needed to configure again. The notification message mentioned:  

You have been logged on with Temp Profile.

After looking into this issue, I saw the following user profiles and I didn’t see my profile (ralin).

C:\Users\TEMP.domainName.000 (first time to login)

C:\Users\TEMP.domainName.001 (second time login)

C:\Users\TEMP.domainName.002 (third time to login)

That explained why I always logged in via Temp Profile.

How to solve this issue?  After looking into it, it is easy.

Go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Search my username (ralin).

Delete the folder S1-5-21-706…


Log off and login again.

My user profile (C:\Users\ralin) appears finally.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey thank you for your post I ran into this problem and just keep over thinking it and when I read your solution. I just wanted to kick myself. Thank you for your post much appreciated. Darrell

Ray said...

Darrell, nice to hear that your issue was resolved.

Unknown said...

Thanks for this. Like Darrell I did not think this would be so easy. Other sites kept talking about "corrupt" profile folders, but my folder was not in the users folder.

Unknown said...

Great Job. . .Thanks!

Unknown said...

This really helped. Thanks a ton Ray.

Unknown said...

Awesome. Thanks a bunch. This helped a lot. I was trying to find the solution since a long time.