Search This Blog

June 23, 2009

To install virtual machine additions on Windows 7 VPC gets the blue screen

I downloaded Windows XP VPC with IE6 from Microsoft.com last year. Today I download Windows 7 RC (iso) and wanted to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7. I found it was not allowed to upgrade directly due to Microsoft policy.

During the install, I got 2 points:

1. Windows XP was installed in C drive. The folder’s name is Windows. When I installed Windows 7 directly, it also installed in C drive. It changed Windows to Windows. old and got a new Windows folder.

2. After the install of Windows 7, it reset my virtual machine additions. Therefore, I needed to install virtual machine additions again. After I installed it, I needed to restart Windows 7. During the reboot, I saw the blue screen.

After long investigation, I found I didn’t install Virtual PC 2007 SP1. After Installing SP1 , the blue screen was gone.

If you see the blue screen next time, install Virtual PC 2007 SP1 first. Your issue will be fixed.

3 comments:

Tiran said...

Hi i'm Tiran
Nice work bro and i like ur blog.
My blog also about IT.
see here
http://informationtechnologe.blogspot.com/

Ray said...

Tiran,thanks. :)

Tiran said...

thanx