Today I used my VPC (Windows XP 3, latest windows update, IE8, clean machine) to test one site in the company, and I found IE8 sometimes showed "this tab has been recovered" and the page redirected to the error URL.
Besides, Compatibility View Settings of IE 8 was not helpful for me to solve this issue. When I went to programs->accessories->system tools-> Internet Explorer 8 (no adds-on), launched this Internet Explorer 8 (no adds-on) and pasted our test site, I could see IE8 running adds-ons disabled.
When I disabled Shockware flash object (adobe 2006 version) in IE8 , the page looked pretty well. But the page still gave me the hint to enable this add-on. If I enabled this add-on, the issue showed up again. It means that there is something wrong with add-ons and IE8.
Next time if you see this issue, try to disable add-ons . Your issue should be resolved.