Internet Explorer 8 on my work laptop (Windows 7 x64) crashed all the time yesterday when I browsed my Gmail and some sites I visited often. “Internet Explorer has stopped responding” dialog box appeared all the time. I tried the following ways and could not make Internet Explorer 8 work.
Disabling Add-Ons in Internet Explorer 8 didn’t work.
Resetting Internet Explorer 8 didn’t work.
Using sfc /scannow didn’t work.
When looking at the event logs, I saw 2 dlls (mshtml.dll and urlmon.dll) might crash.
Using regsvr32 urlmon.dll didn’t work.
Using regsvr32 mshtml.dll didn’t work.
After long investigation, I find our company pushed windows update yesterday and many machines had the issue. After doing system restore, Internet Explorer 8 works perfectly.