Everyone knows that we can’t run all tests via Test List Editor because it is deprecated in VSTS 2012. Test Explorer is new to VSTS 2012, but coded web tests are not supported in Test Explorer (Please see the post of VSTS 2012 IDE update 3 can’t run multiple Coded Wed Performance Tests at a time [only MSTEST Matters])
In our current environment (TFS 2010 Server, TFS 2010 Build Server, TFS 2010 Build Process template), can all tests (WCF tests, DB tests, Coded web tests) after the upgrade to VSTS 2012 be still executed successfully via mstest in TFS 2010 Build Server? Therefore, I would like to try the following basic scenario:
· Back up the current VSTS 2010 unit tests (WCF tests, DB tests, Coded web tests)
· Upgrade all tests from VSTS 2010 to VSTS 2012 update 3.
· After the upgrade, create a new folder in TFS 2010 source control and check in VSTS 2012 code.
· Clone a new TFS 2010 build definition from the current one and all configuration will remain the same.
· Edit the new TFS 2010 Build Definition for VSTS 2012 code
--In Workspace, change the working folder to TFS 2012 code
--In Process, still use TFS 2010 Build process template.
--In Process, Items to Build and Automated Tests point to the new TFS 2012 Solution file
--In Process, Test Metadata file will point to VSTS 2012 code
· Save the build definition
· Push a new build
After pushing a new build, all tests in VSTS 2012 Update 3 can be still executed successfully via mstest in TFS 2010 build Server.